Where Beautiful Smiles Begin!
Comprehensive dental care for the whole family.
Night Guards Available in North Ridgeville, OH
A night guard might be a good decision if you grind or clench your teeth when you sleep. At Center Ridge Dental Professionals in North Ridgeville, Ohio, we can help you treat your dental needs, starting with preventing damage to your teeth. Before you let your teeth suffer needlessly, ask your dentist whether a night guard will be right for you. It may be the best thing you ever do for your smile.
What are Night Guards?
Teeth grinding, or bruxism, is a condition that means you clench or grind your teeth. It can happen during the day or night. Daytime clenching or grinding can often be controlled, but at night, when you’re sleeping, it can be uncontrolled and more damaging. A night guard puts a protective shield or cushion over your teeth, making you less likely to damage or cause your gums to recede.
Why are Night Guards Needed?
Whether stress-induced, hereditary, or misaligned teeth, night guards can provide many benefits to your teeth and your well-being:
- Protect teeth, reducing damage to your tooth enamel.
- It can prevent headaches and jaw pain, which is common after excessive jaw clenching during the night.
- When you grind your teeth, you wear down the guard and not your teeth.
- Prevents chipped teeth (and worn-down teeth).
- It will also prevent some mouth sores since it reduces the risk of you biting your tongue or cheeks while sleeping.
- It may eliminate jaw pain or popping when you wake up.
How to Clean and Care for Your Night Guard?
If you’re considering a dental guard, one of the most important things to know is how to care for them. Luckily, it is a simple process to add to your daily routine.
- Rinse after use.
- Allow your guard to air dry.
- Brush lightly with your toothbrush.
- Store in a protective case when not in use.
- Clean the guard with denture cleaner at least monthly, and wash your protective case often to ensure bacteria don’t grow.
Your dentist will also want to see your night guard at routine checkups to ensure it is holding up well.
How Long Do Dentist Night Guards Last?
Night guards can typically last five years. However, several factors may require replacements more often. Since they rely on proper fit, you may need to change yours if:
- The night guard is used for an adolescent. As children grow, their mouth changes, which means replacing the guard later on..
- You clench tightly. Teeth grinding and clenching tightly can cause the guard to wear faster and require more frequent replacement.
- You need to take care of it properly. As with all things, proper care of your dental night guard can increase its lifespan.
- Pets, especially dogs, love the smell of your night guard and rarely can leave them alone if not kept in a safe place. Many guards are ruined by dogs using them as chew toys.
What Other Preventive Dentistry Services Are Available at Center Ridge Dental Professionals?
At Center Ridge Dental Professionals, various services are available to help you protect your smile and prevent dental issues. Some of the most popular include:
- Teeth Cleaning: There are places inside your mouth that can hold food particles. You should have your teeth professionally cleaned at least every six months.
- Complete Oral Exams: Every six months, your dentist will want to examine you for underlying issues with your teeth before they become a painful problem.
- Oral Cancer Screening: At your regular checkups, your dentist will take time to look for red or white patches in your mouth and may feel for lumps if he suspects a problem.
- Children’s Dentistry: Children need dental exams; their first visit should occur between 2-3 years old.
- Night Guards: A dental guard will help you avoid grinding/clenching your teeth, though they may be used if you have frequent jaw pain or sores in your mouth.
- Sports guards: Though different from night guards, their purpose is similar. They protect your teeth if there is a risk of tooth injury while playing sports or other activities.
Contact Center Ridge Dental Professionals Today!
No matter what type of dental issue you’re having, contact Center Ridge Dental Professionals in North Ridgeville, Ohio. With affordable pricing on all dental needs and the ability to have your entire family treated in one dental office, there’s no need to go anywhere else. Simply schedule an appointment today to discover what Dr. Arndt can do for you.