Oral Cancer Screening
Where Beautiful Smiles Begin!
Comprehensive dental care for the whole family.
Oral Cancer Screening in North Ridgeville, OH
If oral cancer is detected early, treatment success can be more predictable. In more advanced stages, oral cancers need complex treatment. With regular preventive dental exams at Center Ridge Dental Professionals, Dr. Arndt can help detect oral cancers at an early stage. He can spot the early signs of oral cancer and advise you on the steps to take to live a healthy life. We also provide other quality dental services, such as preventive care with cleanings, dental x-rays, and fixing decayed, broken, or missing teeth.
What is Oral Cancer?
Oral cancer is a growth or sore in the mouth that never heals and can be life-threatening if not treated early. It includes cancer of the cheeks, tongue, lips, throat, and floor of the mouth. When discovered early, it many times can be treated successfully. Unfortunately, most people discover oral cancer when it is more advanced to treat effectively. Therefore, we recommend having an oral cancer screening at least once every year.
What is Oral Cancer Screening?
Oral cancer screening is an examination done by a dentist to identify signs of oral cancer. The screening aims to identify oral cancer early to be treated effectively. Dr. Arndt will examine you during a routine dental visit at our office at 33650 Center Ridge Rd. in North Ridgeville, Ohio. . Some factors that can increase the risk of oral cancer include:
- Heavy alcohol use
- Usage of tobacco
- A previous oral cancer diagnosis
What are the Common Symptoms of Mouth Cancer?
Mouth cancer is among the many types of cancers grouped in the neck and head category. If not identified early, mouth cancer can be life-threatening. Some of the signs and symptoms of mouth cancer include:
- Mouth Ulcers: Mouth ulcers are common and should clear up within a 7-10 day period. However, if the situation persists, it could be mouth cancer. Therefore, we recommend you visit our office for a check-up if the mouth ulcers don’t go away after two weeks. We will conduct an oral cancer screening to confirm it is mouth cancer. When mouth cancer is discovered early, it can be treated effectively.
- Lumps on the Neck or Mouth: Lumping on your neck or in your mouth is a common symptom of mouth cancer. However, lumps that come and go are not usually a sign of cancer. Cancer usually forms a lump that slowly grows to become bigger.
What is Examined During an Oral Cancer Screening?
During oral cancer screening, Dr. Arndt will look at the different parts of your mouth, including the top, sides, and under the tongue, lips, gums, cheek lining, tonsils, and the upper and lower part of the mouth.
What are the Benefits of Oral Cancer Screening?
An oral cancer screening is important for everyone, not only when you start experiencing symptoms. At Center Ridge Dental Professionals, an oral cancer screening takes only a few minutes during your appointment. There are many benefits, including the following:
- Early Detection: Growths in the mouth are usually hard to detect and, most times, are not painful until the late stages. However, when mouth cancer is detected late, it can be difficult to treat. That’s why you need regular oral cancer screening to detect signs early.
- Prevention: Routine oral cancer screening is one of the best ways to prevent mouth cancer.
Schedule an Appointment in North Ridgeville, OH
Routine oral cancer screening is important to prevent mouth cancer. Dr. Arndt will detect any signs early and offer you the right treatment. At Center Ridge Dental Professionals, we want the best outcome for our patients. Schedule an appointment in North Ridgeville, Ohio, today.