Where Beautiful Smiles Begin!
Comprehensive dental care for the whole family.
Tooth Fillings are Available in North Ridgeville, OH
Treating cavities or damaged teeth can take various forms. Depending on the extent of tooth damage, your dentist may recommend one of the various restorative dentistry procedures to help you achieve your dental goals. At Center Ridge Dental Professionals, Dr. Arndt may recommend tooth fillings to treat decayed or cracked teeth to help improve your oral health.
What are Tooth Fillings?
If you need dental cavity treatment and to restore your teeth’ strength, you may want to consider tooth fillings. This restorative dental procedure uses glass, metal, or porcelain materials to seal a crack or cavity on the affected tooth. Filings are also an excellent option for worn-out teeth and often seal cavities to help eliminate pain and discomfort as you bite or chew.
Types of Tooth Fillings
There are different types of dental fillings. Depending on preferences, the extent of tooth damage, and the location of the cavity, your dentist may recommend one of the following:
- Composite Fillings: These are hard, resin materials suitable for teeth that are moderately worn out but have a supportive structure. Composite fillings can withstand pressure from chewing and are a great option for both front and back teeth. They are tooth colored and blend naturally with your teeth.
- Indirect Fillings: If your tooth is worn out and lacks a supportive structure, your dentist may recommend indirect fillings. They often take the form of inlays and onlays. While inlays are used to fill the center of your tooth, especially between grooves, onlays are used to treat cavities that extend to the cusps. You may visit your dentist twice before the filling can be cemented to restore the damaged tooth.
- Gold Fillings: Gold fillings are the most expensive, but they offer a long-lasting option.
- Ceramic Fillings: Made from porcelain, these fillings can last for many years and can be a more conservative option than a full crown.
- Silver Amalgam: These fillings are made from different metals, including silver, mercury, and copper. They provide an affordable option and again can last many years with proper maintenance and good home care.
When Should you get a Dental Filling?
Although not all damaged teeth require this restorative dentistry, your dentist may recommend dental fillings if:
- You have a dental cavity
- Your tooth has a crack or is fractured
- You have discoloration or gaps between your teeth and want to change your appearance.
While fillings may offer a durable solution, some teeth, due to damage and decay, may require a crown which is a stronger solution.
What Does a Dental Filling Procedure Look Like?
If your dentist recommends dental fillings, here is what you should expect:
- Your dentist will use local anesthesia to numb the area around the affected tooth
- Your dentist will then clean out the cavity, place the tooth-colored resin filling, and harden it with a special light.
- Your dentist will then shape the filling to match the bite of your other teeth.
To keep your teeth strong and healthy after a filling, you must practice good oral hygiene. Flossing at least once a day and brushing your teeth twice daily will help maintain healthy oral hygiene.
Get Professional Dental Care Today
If cavities are caught early, fillings can offer a great and convenient alternative to other painful and costly dental conditions. Center Ridge Dental Professionals offers a range of dental services for the whole family. Dr. Arndt will assess your teeth and offer personalized attention that meets your dental goals. Contact us to schedule an appointment and revive your oral health.